Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I start iTunes U?
- Download iTunes for Windows or MacOS directly from the Apple website. Link: www.apple.com/itunes
- Install iTunes on your computer. Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Reboot your computer and start iTunes.
- Navigate to the iTunes Store. Open the section called “iTunes U” and search for “Karlsruher Institut für Technologie” or go directly to: podcasts | courses
How do I find content from KIT in iTunes?
- Use the search bar in iTunes to browse all available content.
- To specifically find content from KIT use the extended search with the keywords “iTunes U” and “Karlsruher Institut für Technologie”.
- The KIT Homepage on iTunes U is located in the Higher Education section.
- All downloaded content will be automatically added to a private playlist. The playlist can be edited to fit your personal needs.
I am a lecturer at KIT and wish to publish my lecure, talk and other content on iTunes U.
The central platform for lecture recordings and other media content is the Digital Video and Audio Archiv DIVA operated by the KIT Library. All media is imported over the central KIT-Media-Upload interface. An option to publish to iTunes U is available during the DIVA upload process. The KIT has a large interest in presenting its variety in research and education, and increasing its world wide reach.
What are podcasts?
The term “podcast” is made up of the words “iPod” and “broadcast”. Therefore “podcasting” is the production and publishing of audio and video media over the internet. A single podcast is a series of contributions which are made accessible using a newsfeed. Users can subscribe to the feeds and will be notified when new content is published.
Can iTunes U content only be viewed using Apple Products and Apple ID?
No. All iTunes U content is available free of charge and without login. iTunes is free software compatible with macOS, iOS and Windows.
How can I get access on Linux or Android devices?
All content available in iTunes U can also be viewed on DIVA.
Further alternatives are:
- Use the programm Tunesviewer (Linux and Android)
- Install the Windows Emulator Wine (Linux, macOS, BSD and other POSIX operating systems)
Where is the “KIT on iTunes U” content stored?
All media published by KIT on iTunes is stored exclusively on servers operated and owned by KIT. The transferred data is temporarily cached on proxies. For data transfer http connections are used. This is normal practice to reduce network load and increase efficiency. iTunes uses the proxy provider “Akamai”.
Is the copyright transferred to Apple when I publish on iTunes U?
No. The copyright remains with the author. iTunes U is solely a distribution channel.